Parenting and Spanking
UK Banning Spanking - Printable Version

+- Parenting and Spanking (https://parentingandspanking.createmybb3.com)
+-- Forum: THE FIRST FLOOR (https://parentingandspanking.createmybb3.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: The Media Room (https://parentingandspanking.createmybb3.com/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: UK Banning Spanking (/thread-3361.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: UK Banning Spanking - Alex - 04-04-2018

Scandinavians and other north Europeans tend not to spank. True it is banned by law, but apart from the occasional sad instances of abuse, society has not broken down and parents are not in jail. Probably there is a certain amount of blind eyes being turned to families where spanking does occur is my suspicion in other words laws enforcement at local level uses it discretion wisely.

My instinct should a ban come in, would be to stop spanking, we are heading that way in any case.

Alex

RE: UK Banning Spanking - Garth - 04-04-2018

I do not think spanking should be banned. However I have no problems having certain restrictions to reduce the possibility of physical abuse.

RE: UK Banning Spanking - Tissueman - 04-04-2018

I agree with Garth.

RE: UK Banning Spanking - Tommy - 04-04-2018

(04-04-2018, 09:11 AM)Garth Wrote: I do not think spanking should be banned. However I have no problems having certain restrictions to reduce the possibility of physical abuse.

That would make a lot more sense than banning spanking altogether.

RE: UK Banning Spanking - British Smacking - 04-05-2018

Just asking for opinions and thoughts.
Should a spanking ban be imposed and parents decide to continue on the quiet ; what do you tell your children to say if asked at school ? This might be as a group discussion or a history topic or a bit of welfare ' probing '.

Do you tell your little juniors to lie and deny or do you have an absolute rule that they must be truthful. ?

Regards as always

RE: UK Banning Spanking - Garth - 04-05-2018

I would never tell my child to lie about anything. I guess if I lived in a country that did not allow spanking I would probably follow the laws of the land. I may however give the occasional smack and if the authorities deemed this to be unlawful, I guess I would have to pay the consequences of my actions. This would probably be just a warning unless I caused some sort of injury. Here in Canada we are only suppose to use our hand to spank. Yet I know Canadian parents do spank with instruments and I don’t know of any that have ever been prosecuted. This also seems to be the case regarding our age limits. Children are unlikely to report on their parents unless they themselves feel abused or the spanking has been excessive and it is doubtful a relative or close friend would make a report. Most reports I guess occur when a child is spanked in public and in that case I think it should be reported.

RE: UK Banning Spanking - Nancy - 04-05-2018

I do not ever ask Amy to lie. All I've ever asked of her to do is to not volunteer that she gets spanked. In all of the antispanking presentations at school they just tell them that they can report it and how to do it. I can't imagine even the busiest of busybodies going student to student and asking if they get spanked. She'd never file a report because she understand why I spank and accepts it. She's even told me that if she becomes a mom she'll spank as needed.

So here I am, master criminal. You should see my multimillion dollar secret lair. Okay, it's a home office and worth a lot less than a million.

RE: UK Banning Spanking - Garth - 04-06-2018

Of course it is not illegal to spank in North America. However child protection may lead you to believe otherwise. Under the Child Welfare Act in Canada children who are under the care of CPS are not allowed to be spanked. This includes children who are in foster care and clients of CPS. I have known foster parents to spank and if they are found out, which they usually are, they are first given a warning. The police are not involved unless the child is injured. It is standard practice that any case that appears before a Family Court involving child protection, the Judge makes an order immediately that the parents can not use corporal punishment. Law abiding parents have nothing to fear. If your child is not at risk the chances of you being investigating by CPS is quite remote. If by chance you are investigated by them, fear not. They are a very busy agency and the last thing the social worker wants to do is open another case. Honesty is the best policy. Be agreeable. Stay calm. And just carry on doing what you think is in your child’s best interest after CPS closes your case.

RE: UK Banning Spanking - Frankie - 04-07-2018

Sorry, but the UK is not about to ban spanking.

Only Scotland is, and this should be seen as part of the Nationalist Party (in goverment) nibbling away at the things which unite the UK. They have also just introduced their own version of Income Tax, which is going to be a nightmare for people who work on both sides of the "border" who it seems will need to submit two tax returns, with Scotland having 5 tax bands compared with the rest of the UK's 3.

Think of Catalonia/Catalunya and Spain.

RE: UK Banning Spanking - Alex - 04-08-2018

As Frankie says, but I think the point is the national Governments in Scotland and Wales tend to move faster on most things than the central UK Government when it comes to social policy, the Central Government is slogging through matters related to Brexit so is not likely to move on this but you can see it coming.

Alex