Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

School Corporal Punishment In Tennessee
(09-26-2019, 09:01 PM)MadProgrammer Wrote: The paddle is basically the only punishment I get at home. This doesn't really look bad at all to me. This seems kind of minor actually. I guess it's probably different for kids who rarely get spanked though. If I had never been spanked before, I would probably make a much bigger deal over this.

If he has marks and he has trouble sitting for a few days, that's what's supposed to happen. Paddles are meant to have this effect.

I agree with you, Matt. I know I commented on this back in January, but I will say again, and agree with you, the results of that paddling do not look that bad at all to me. A paddle when applied well, is going to produce a red or even bruised bottom. The boys mom consented to the paddling. I really do think she was making to much of it, and not setting a good example for her son, given that it was completely legal in TN and she gave her approval.

I know I have seen photos on the web of school paddling results that look MUCH worse than that...
TRAVIS
Dad to 15 year old son and 11 year old daughter
Click for My Introduction
[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
(09-26-2019, 09:16 PM)Travis Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 09:01 PM)MadProgrammer Wrote: The paddle is basically the only punishment I get at home. This doesn't really look bad at all to me. This seems kind of minor actually. I guess it's probably different for kids who rarely get spanked though. If I had never been spanked before, I would probably make a much bigger deal over this.

If he has marks and he has trouble sitting for a few days, that's what's supposed to happen. Paddles are meant to have this effect.

I agree with you, Matt. I know I commented on this back in January, but I will say again, and agree with you, the results of that paddling do not look that bad at all to me. A paddle when applied well, is going to produce a red or even bruised bottom. The boys mom consented to the paddling. I really do think she was making to much of it, and not setting a good example for her son, given that it was completely legal in TN and she gave her approval.

I know I have seen photos on the web of school paddling results that look MUCH worse than that...

They should really just send home informational printouts of what to expect from a paddling so parents already know in advance what their kids are in for. Give them fair warning so they won't have a reason to complain later that they didn't know.
Not a bad idea.
The amount of force used seems pretty reasonable. It's a punishment after all, so it has to be sufficiently unpleasant in order to be a good deterrent. The idea is that once a student has been paddled, they will not be in a hurry to get another one.

If a student weighs the pros and cons of a decision, a mere pinkening of the skin really isn't anything of significance in the con category.
I think the paddle was applied to high up on his bottom. It should be used on the lower fat part of his cheeks. That could be the reason he stayed red for so long.
Allen
Dad of 2 girls - (15 and 13)
Totally inappropriate to leave bruises like that. If they did that to my kid, I'd f-ing kill them. This is why I am glad we raised our kids where this was not allowed. It is also why we only ever used our hands.
Tissueman
Dad of 2 grown sons, grandfather to 2 young grandchildren

i don't know of ANY school in America that still uses corporal punishment.
(09-28-2019, 10:25 PM)Meggy Wrote: i don't know of ANY school in America that still uses corporal punishment.

I won't say it's common here in the South, but it still happens. I hear Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama are the states where it's much more common. I live in Georgia. We have it in some schools here, but it's definitely a minority of schools in the state. I would rather have that sort of discipline handled by parents.
Honestly, I do somewhat incline towards a laxer approach to elementary school, and one of the beauties of the Japanese system of education is how relatively carefree elementary is; they usually avoided corporal punishment in elementary before 6th grade, and even there it was just to get discipline standards up before students entered Junior High. That is certainly no longer accepted even at that age...or just barely accepted. But I think it makes sense to ramp up discipline and move to using physical punishment when students enter Junior High/Middle School, and I think it makes sense to continue that in high school, particularly in American education with its emphasis on universal high school education.
(09-28-2019, 10:25 PM)Meggy Wrote: i don't know of ANY school in America that still uses corporal punishment.

Meggy, corporal punishment in US schools may be happening more than you realize. Paddles are still swinging in some states, although I believe it is safe to say that it is more common in southern states. Here in Texas, quite a few school districts still allow corporal punishment and their schools do practice it. It varies from district to district as to whether parental approval is needed before each school year, or before each instance of corporal discipline, but one way or another, quite a few do still paddle.

There are still quite a few private schools here as well that still use corporal punishment. If I am not mistaken, some may even require that a parent approve of corporal punishment as a condition of enrollment, however I could be wrong about that.
TRAVIS
Dad to 15 year old son and 11 year old daughter