Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Canada Thanksgiving
Over in Japan they modified it in 1948 into giving thanks to workers rather than thanks for the harvest, and it is probably a more minor holiday today because of that I think. It isn't as much about agricultural success or food nowadays. It falls on a Monday this year, however, which looks like it will give schools a 3 day weekend!
I will take any holiday that gives me a day off from school. Shy

Are there actually any holidays that are today what they were 100 years ago? When did Santa invade Jesus' birthday? The Easter bunny his resurrections? I think a holiday....like most things in life...is or will be whatever you make of it.
Junior Girl - Age 17
[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
(10-14-2020, 08:44 AM)Scarlette Wrote: I will take any holiday that gives me a day off from school. Shy

Are there actually any holidays that are today what they were 100 years ago? When did Santa invade Jesus' birthday? The Easter bunny his resurrections? I think a holiday....like most things in life...is or will be whatever you make of it.

Well, Santa has been linked with St Nicholas of Myra, so he has a Christian origin. I absolutely love Christmas too. I suppose Easter is supposed to be the most central Christian holiday, but Christmas is my favourite. For me, the Christian element is what makes it special, but I understand not everyone feels the same, which is fine.

I do hope it will be possible to go to carol services this year with the situation as it is.
I rather like Christmas too. I hope I'll get to go to midnight Mass with my grumpy father.
Junior Girl - Age 17
I like Christmas. A lot. Religious or secular, it's a homerun.

I like Carnival, and will miss it living in Texas this year.

I like the way Jamaica does Labor Day, everyone gets a day off work/school to go do free labor to help improve their community (building school bus stops, picking up trash, etc)

I like Fourth of July OK (I mean who doesn't like fireworks).

I like Easter for religious reasons, and cause, who doesn't like candy

Halloween rocks

New Years can be fun.

Valentine's Day seems silly (I don't need to pay Hallmark to tell people I care about them on a single day when I'm told to do so by Hallmark all so everyone can go out and overpay at overcrowded restaurants on the same night, instead of any other night of the year).

Thanksgiving draws my ire in multiple ways, and I can't wait to be old enough to not celebrate it. HeartAngel
— Maddie
Junior Female Alumna (20)

My mom was saying to me a few minutes ago that there is going to be a super big need for Thanksgiving baskets this year because of all the people not working. She says we will be able to help make them but us kids can't go with nobody when they get delivered. That was the fun part but covid ruins that to.
Junior Girl - Age 14
(10-14-2020, 11:16 AM)Maddie Wrote: I like Christmas. A lot. Religious or secular, it's a homerun.

I like Carnival, and will miss it living in Texas this year.

I like the way Jamaica does Labor Day, everyone gets a day off work/school to go do free labor to help improve their community (building school bus stops, picking up trash, etc)

I like Fourth of July OK (I mean who doesn't like fireworks).

I like Easter for religious reasons, and cause, who doesn't like candy

Halloween rocks

New Years can be fun.

Valentine's Day seems silly (I don't need to pay Hallmark to tell people I care about them on a single day when I'm told to do so by Hallmark all so everyone can go out and overpay at overcrowded restaurants on the same night, instead of any other night of the year).

Thanksgiving draws my ire in multiple ways, and I can't wait to be old enough to not celebrate it. HeartAngel

If you don't mind me asking, why do you hate Thanksgiving?
(10-14-2020, 08:15 PM)Tommy Wrote: If you don't mind me asking, why do you hate Thanksgiving?

I wasn't trying to go back to that, and make this all about me being bah humbug, but since you asked I'll answer:

1) I dont like the food. At all. Nor "comfort food" in general
2) it's maybe the most American thing ever to think you can edit the need to "give thanks" down to a single day and then make it all about personal gluttony and pleasure
3) I see a lot more football watching and christmas shopping going on than THANKSgiving
4) it helps romanticize a fake history of harmony with the native american peoples whom we exploited, enslaved, and committed a holocaust against
5) It romanticizes a specifc version of our european history that is basically searching for a religious oligarchy, in spite of the fact that most of us aren't descended from the extremists who were the pilgrims
6) I'd like to see people be thankful in small ways year round instead of a single day, especially since the day really seems to be more about gluttony than thanks (see my point #2)
I like Thanksgiving for the food and family, in that order. Most of my relatives have either died (grandparents, father, aunts, uncles) or moved away (one uncle moved to Texas, another moved to Alabama). Thanksgiving this year will probably just be with my 83 year old mother and no one else. I don't like professional sports. I agree that we should give thanks every day, not just once a year. I'm not a fan of the pilgrims. I do admire Roger Williams for his support of religious freedom, and for that he was forced to leave Massachusetts. The way in which Native Americans were treated is worse than shameful. It's worse than disgraceful.
christmas?!?!? we talking about Christmas?!?!?!!?! im making Caleb hang Christmas lights on Sat!!!! omgggg a treeee!!! cookies!!! Christmas songs!!! hallmark movies that make me want to find my own prince.... omgomgomg so excited just da best time ever!! u guys know that one girl thats in all those Christmas movies is like totally a pro spanker right?!?!