Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Holiday Favorites
What are some of the special holiday dishes your family makes?

What I look forward to are the breads my "aunt" makes. She makes the worlds best banana bread and her pumpkin bread is to die for but give me some of her zucchini bread too and her cranberry bread, you can't eat just one piece.

Yup I'm a carb junkie.
https://what-do-you-say.proboards.com

— Addy
Junior Member (14)

[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
We have different holiday foods for the different holidays. For Thanksgiving my favorite part is the crispy part of the stuffing...you know the part that sticks outside of the bird and gets overdone? Yum. For Christmas, it's the cookies.
My New Years resolution every single year is to go on a diet to lose the weight I gain during the holidays. Tongue
Junior Girl - Age 17
For me, it's the stuffing. It's a family recipe that has been handed down for over 200 years.
KAT
Mom of 4 boys - Tyler (22), Logan (19), Ryan (17), Connor (16) and 2 girls - Katie (21), Lexie (15)

Click for My Introduction

Thats a lot of tradition in that stuffing.
I like my grandma's pecan pie but I'd have to go all the way to Georgia to have a piece. My great grandma Rose taught my grandma how to make it and I think it was from the generation before to so I think that is the closest we got to a traditional food.
My mom now bakes really good cookies and my favorite are ones she used to make with me when I first moved here and there is potato chips in them. For Thanksgiving I like the turkey best but I like it after it becomes a sandwich. Smile
Junior Girl - Age 14
In Louisiana, most of my family and friends had gumbo, not turkey. So I'm not used to a lot of the normal Thanksgiving things that come from New England that people always talk about.

But I do love gratin dauphinois. I could eat those on a plate all day and nothing else! Smile Smile
16--Junior Member
Yum but I like my potatoes mashed and without the nutmeg. Smile

I always assumed people did a turkey for Thanksgiving and had different special dishes for Christmas.

Sooooo.......duh Scarlette.....some people don't even like turkey....talk about not living beyond my own backyard. Tongue
Junior Girl - Age 17
(11-25-2020, 03:30 PM)Scarlette Wrote: Yum but I like my potatoes mashed and without the nutmeg. Smile

I always assumed people did a turkey for Thanksgiving and had different special dishes for Christmas.

Sooooo.......duh Scarlette.....some people don't even like turkey....talk about not living beyond my own backyard. Tongue

Talking to mom, who is way into food history, pre WWII Thanksgiving was highly regional. Turkey was a new england/yankee thing. But with TV and post WWII homgenization, Turkey became mostly ubiquitous. But in some hyper regional places (like Louisiana) it took a lot longer to take over.
What about all those pictures of the pilgrims eating a turkey??!! Tongue

Glad I'm a yankee. I love the smell of a turkey baking in the oven. Heck I just love food.[/code]
Junior Girl - Age 17
I'm hungry thinking about tomorrow.
https://what-do-you-say.proboards.com

— Addy
Junior Member (14)

My children love lamingtons. It won't be a holiday without it.