Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

A Believer
https://shanekastler.typepad.com/pastor_...nk-em.html
Tutor/Mentor
Thank you for posting. A sound understanding of what is sometimes needed to set a child back on the right path. I agree with the book recommendation for everyone here.
PETER JORDAN
Dad of 1 boy - Zach (23), step-dad of 1 boy - Josh (12)
Trillian: petethedad
Click for My Introduction
Click for My Interview
[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
"When I see parents doing this…I always want to say the same thing: “FOR CRYING OUT LOUD….JUST GIVE HIM A SPANKING!”….AND if he is repentant then give him a hug and tell him you love him. If he’s still defiant, then give him another spanking. Eventually, he’ll get tired of it and come around. In the long run it’s easier on the kid and the parent AND its more effective to just spank them like God says to do, as opposed to dreaming up a million different “creative” punishments that only draw out the problem and ignore the real matter. "

I sometimes think these parents are enjoying testing their intelligence with these creative or ironic punishments - complete waste of time and they're just basking in their own 'cleverness'- which is never really that clever anyway.
Mentor
[Image: wURKrjG.jpg]
That is actually a very good parenting book. I have read it.
RACHAEL
Mom of 1 girl - Hope (15)
Click for My Introduction
[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
My wife and I absolutely could not agree more. Defiance can be dealt with, and it needs consistency, commitment, and the will to carry out what you promised the consequences would be.

We would also add that the article Garth posted also does a great job laying out the Biblical issue regarding parents that withhold discipline from their children in that we have a great Biblical responsibility; our children must accept our guidance, and we as parents must provide that guidance and support it with the discipline they require. Always a good reminder!
It is a good article.

The only thing I would add is that physical correction is (and needs to be) a very different experience for teens from that of children.

With children it should be quick, sharp and clear, underlining 'reproof' as a line in the sand....a punctuation mark, if you like.

To succeed with teenagers it strikes me it needs more cooperation: not just the physical act of applying discomfort but a much more profound acknowledgement of the error and the value of correction.

I'm not suggesting that teens need to 'like' it, but it would be less impactive (bad pun) it they don't appreciate the rationale behind the correction.

I think I'm saying that it's as much cerebral as physical for the adolescent.