Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Do other religions believe in spanking?
Is this the right thread to post?

What about other religions--Islam/Muslim, Buddhism, Taoism, Hindu etc. Do they believe in spanking or what are their views?
Father of six children, five girls one boy. From the UK.
[Image: wURKrjG.jpg]

http://parentingandspanking.createmybb3....-3821.html
Yes, I would say so. Buddhist run temple schools in Japan called terakoya, the first truly large scale education in that country, were always pretty strict. They certainly used some level of striking the bottom, and also standing, standing with water buckets, and kneeling, and recorded the punishments in punishment logs just like modern schools. Islam seems supportive, from what I have seen. Not sure what the verses are exactly if any specifically support it in that religion.
(05-12-2019, 06:45 AM)Anymouse Wrote: Yes, I would say so. Buddhist run temple schools in Japan called terakoya, the first truly large scale education in that country, were always pretty strict. They certainly used some level of striking the bottom, and also standing, standing with water buckets, and kneeling, and recorded the punishments in punishment logs just like modern schools. Islam seems supportive, from what I have seen. Not sure what the verses are exactly if any specifically support it in that religion.

Thank you.
Would anyone care to comment about how the Catholic community may feel in general in regard to corporal punishment of children. I personally know of Catholic families that do spank, but also some that do not. I am sure that is true of all faiths, but just curious if there seems to be any strong beliefs in either direction as far as Catholics?
TRAVIS
Dad to 15 year old son and 11 year old daughter
Click for My Introduction
[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
(05-13-2019, 06:54 PM)Travis Wrote: Would anyone care to comment about how the Catholic community may feel in general in regard to corporal punishment of children. I personally know of Catholic families that do spank, but also some that do not. I am sure that is true of all faiths, but just curious if there seems to be any strong beliefs in either direction as far as Catholics?

This might answer your question:

.jpg   nun-smacking-boy-on-knuckles-450w-143951881.jpg (Size: 20.41 KB / Downloads: 32)
We're Catholic and I don't think there is a bias one way or the other in the church. Some spank and some don't and I believe that's more a matter of how you were raised than how the church views it.
I know the pope said something about spanking being okay a year or two ago
SAMANTHA
Mother of a baby, Step-mother of two girls
I've heard a Muslim work collegue tell his (3-4-years-oldish) son on the phone that he would be spanked if he kept his behaviour up. That was in the early-2000s. I've also heard another Muslim work collegue say that you could be slapped anywhere, but never on the face, so I presume a spanking on the bottom would be OK for him.

Growing up, a Buddhist Vietnamese friend was most definitely spanked!
Male Adult
[Image: O1ewJ3i.jpg]
(05-14-2019, 08:46 PM)Francois Wrote: I've heard a Muslim work collegue tell his (3-4-years-oldish) son on the phone that he would be spanked if he kept his behaviour up. That was in the early-2000s. I've also heard another Muslim work collegue say that you could be slapped anywhere, but never on the face, so I presume a spanking on the bottom would be OK for him.

Growing up, a Buddhist Vietnamese friend was most definitely spanked!

Although I do not know if it is related to religion, I will say that we know of a couple of Vietnamese families that are very pro-spanking. I have always felt that corporal discipline is not uncommon in their culture.
TRAVIS
Dad to 15 year old son and 11 year old daughter
Yes, that is my impression as well. I know someone who lived there and they were very supportive of it, with very much the same attitude some people in the west used to have in the past.