Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Graph
Video 
Picked this up from Time magazine. American trending.
.jpg   1465810990889-599498979.jpg (Size: 123.67 KB / Downloads: 74)
Mrs. V
Grandmother/Caregiver of 8 -6 at home, 2 boys: Nicolaas15 & Gabe 5; 4 girls: Lisbeth 15, Natalie 14, Lizzie 10 & Ashleigh 8 - 2 girls away from home 22 & 17 (2 adult sons and 1 adult daughter, all single parents)
Click for My Introduction
[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
I would love to see other countries on this. All we ever see is what the UN agreement says. If you'll notice the trend is headed up. The most recent figures, which aren't reflected here, are going up not down. But they're too early to chart. It seems like hype in the US to pretend that spanking is negative or taboo.

If they wanted to change, they would. They have no issues with change, new ideas or progress as a culture. We just don't believe the "experts." We don't pay attention to our own media. I wonder if the world believes those tall tales.

The USA and Somalia are the only non-signatories on the treaty. Congress won't even bring it to the floor. Spanking is the only clause keeping it from being ratified.
Mrs. V
Grandmother/Caregiver of 8 -6 at home, 2 boys: Nicolaas15 & Gabe 5; 4 girls: Lisbeth 15, Natalie 14, Lizzie 10 & Ashleigh 8 - 2 girls away from home 22 & 17 (2 adult sons and 1 adult daughter, all single parents)
While it's true the agreement is worded as you stated, the interpretation by policy experts and constitutional scholars is that, it is an invitation to a ban on spanking. I know I read a speech by the Committee that lambasted the USA. He discussed corporal punishment. The treaty has been cited in efforts to ban spanking in other countries.

The position as I understand it is, America observes all of the treaty, but refuses to ratify, because the language is ambiguous under the Bill of Rights. This is just one of many international treaties that go unratified. If the legal language has a glimmer of problematic contradiction to the Bill of Rights, it will not get a vote.

In theory and policy, it's not rejected out of hand. The President signed it and his Executive Orders administer the regulations. However, it's unofficial without ratification in the Senate. There it takes 67 votes, not the normal 51. In this case, if the President tried to use the agreement to ban spanking, the Senate would go to the Supreme Court to have the Executive Order, declared null and void, pointing out that the treaty was not legal. It is the spanking controversy that keeps it from coming to the floor of the Senate

The Court has recently ruled twice that corporal punishment is an issue that belongs only to the State Courts and Washington has no jurisdiction over it. There is no national law regarding child rights, abuse or corporal punishment. There are 50 State laws. No senator would vote for this agreement. His own State's Attorney General says he/she doesn't like it from the state law's viewpoint. 50 states believe the treaty supplants their authority over the child abuse legal code. Senators know in their precincts the support is 81% (most current figure) for corporal punishment. To approve the treaty would be sudden death to any senator's political future.

Because of how our branches of power work, it's more important to states, who represents them in the House and Senate. Law is passed by Congress, the President is an administrative position. That's why Americans don't get too bent out of shape about presidential politics. It's an oddity that the founders left us. It's the only position that is subject to a national popular vote. They didn't trust the masses. The complicated way they take the states' results of the vote may further confuse outsiders. It is possible to win the popular vote and not win the election.

The favorite saying is, "all politics are local." There are 300,000 precincts in the US. Each has an average of 1100 voters. You win precincts not votes. 551 votes, you pick up the win. Then you collect precincts. The 50 states have there own rules about qualifications to nominate and vote. That's why it costs millions of dollars to run district, state or national campaigns. Candidates have to run 50 different strategies and file on the ballot in each of 50 states. There is no national ballot.

Through their representation in Congress the States reserve the right to ratify treaties with foreign governments. You can see all the strife in the EU. The United States is just a union. We want to be viewed as one nation to the world. This is the true purpose of Washington DC. But internally, we are still countries/colonies. Each with its own identity like Germany or France. It's up to diplomats to present us to the world. Dollars to Donuts, the average American has no idea this agreement even exists. Average citizens see us as having our finger in every pie. They don't even try to figure it all out.
Mrs. V
I got my butt busted several times growing up. At 35 I'm an echo boomer I guess.
KIMBERLY
Mom of 3 girls - Hallie (15), Christa (12), Chelsea (9), and 1 boy - Chris (18)
Yes. The big point is a huge majority of Americans believe in and use spanking in their tool kit. And, it hasn't significantly changed over time. Also, the current trend lines are increasing in the 20 somethings, not declining. It won't show a new spike for several years. None of that is included in this graph.
Mrs. V