Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Old Article: German Upbringing After The War
Found the translated piece below via experience Project. Interesting to see what has changed. I disclaim any involvement; this is not my work.

German Upbringing After The War DER SPIEGEL 17/1964 dated 22.4.1964, page 52

Spanking
Punishment by mother

(EDUCATION)

The German children, as in bygone days, are still ruled by a heavy hand and
the cane. 80 to 85 percent of all parents still feel that a spanking is a necessary means of education. Unlike the days before the Second World War, however, in
most cases the mother gives the spanking. The age limit of the chastised young people is 16, rarely 18 years.

This post-war German family life picture has been designed by the Director of the Department of German Antiquities and Folklore at the University of Hamburg, Professor Dr. Walter Hävernick, 59, in a recently published study *. On the topic the professor studied the "family tradition" of the Germans. Hävernick on the outcome of this research: "We were flatly destroyed." (Note: critics didn’t like the results.)

The Hamburg folklorist compared data provided by families, schools and apprentices for the time periods 1910-1939 ("past") and 1945-1962 ("present"). The researchers found regional differences: In Berlin, children were most severely punished, and in northern Germany at the mildest. Hävernick: "If children are spanked with the wooden clothes hanger, it's in Berlin."

According to Hävernick - "Do not write about corporal punishment as “lashing children with a big stick.” He defined spanking as "Systematically applied chastisement, executed by hitting the bottom with a flat hand or by certain instruments". The most popular instrument is still the cane, the "symbol of punishment preparedness” in many households, often kept in a place determined by tradition. Previously, almost half of all parents had a cane, now the cane is still available in every third family.
Hävernick, who leaves the "practical education" of his own children to his wife, estimated that it is usually more than half of all 15 - to 16-year and one in eleven 17 year old in who risk the cane in a case of need. In most cases, boys are more often victims, but at a mature age, girls are corporally punished more often "over the knee" to prevent "sexual straying”. The adolescents themselves consider spanking apparently as a correct punishment. A survey of 233 machinist apprentices in a Hamburg Company found that 82 percent of respondents considered a spanking as "not disgraceful" and 71% deemed a strict upbringing as best.

If it not beaten with the flat hand or a cane, the items used were a switch, the
carpet beater, clothes hangers (the iron hooks screwed out beforehand ), the wooden spoon, slippers. Whips or belt are rarely used in Germany. The spanking is consistently applied to the bottom. The offender is often placed over the knee and held there or he must lie down on a chair, a chair or sofa, rarely does he has to bent over. To increase the severity of the punishment, the protective garments are often removed and the spanking is given "on the bare". This form of punishment has doubled since the last war. “Who not wants to hear, has to feel:” A painful punishment on the bare bottom is the best way to cool down pride and arrogance.
Of course, the removal of clothes has often less moral than technical reasons. Hävernick: "The fashion of leather pants made it is indispensable. " (Note: the change from father to mother was likely as important).

* Walter Hävernick " Schläge als Strafe (spanking as punishment)", Verlag Hamburg Museum eV, 13,50 Mark.
I'm intrigued that you found this, Anymouse. It brought back a memory that had been submerged for a long time.

Many years ago now I had a German pupil (age 17) who came from Hamburg with his parents who were working in UK for a while. He told me that the cane was still quite a common punishment in that town, and directed me to the research your item mentions, which I was able to get via the public library service.

The research was confined to a specific area of Hamburg (St Pauli) and used members of the Buergerverein (civic society) as "source material". I got the impression from my pupil that it may not have been typical of the rest of Germany. (I remember making notes about it which probably still exist somewhere in my study, if I could locate them!)

My pupil (and his father) approved strongly of a "strict" upbringing, and certainly did not consider spanking disgraceful. Indeed, his father remarked that he felt his son would benefit from the fact that the cane was still used in my school, though it had not been in Hamburg schools. The boy was very well-behaved and I don't think was ever caned at school, but he was certainly still spanked at home, and not ashamed to admit it.

I remember too that my pupil brought to school a copy of the German paper Bild (an illustrated popular daily paper) which included an item about a mother caning her 18-year-old son. The son didn't seem to think this was extraordinary, merely remarking that his sore bottom reminded him of his misbehaviour for a while.
FRANKIE
Father, Grandfather and Honorary Grandfather
Click for My Introduction
[Image: wURKrjG.jpg]
Although one must always treat fictional accounts of childhood with a pinch of salt, German films featuring canings such as 'The White Ribbon', 'Father and Sons' and 'The German Lesson' all support this view of German child rearing practices pre WW2.

Alex
ALEX
Dad of 1 girl - Sam and 2 boys - Xan and JoJo.  Too old for spanking and have been for some time!
(05-26-2017, 11:14 AM)Alex Wrote: Although one must always treat fictional accounts of childhood with a pinch of salt, German films featuring canings such as 'The White Ribbon', 'Father and Sons' and 'The German Lesson' all support this view of German child rearing practices pre WW2.

Alex

That's quite true, Alex. But I'd point out that Hitler's Germany actively promoted the use of corporal punishment (including in the workplace for apprentices and in the armed services) as a minor part of its ideology; and also that Haevernick's research related to the mid-1960s, nearly thirty years years after the start of WW2.
FRANKIE
Father, Grandfather and Honorary Grandfather
[Image: wURKrjG.jpg]
Hitler himself was abused severely physically growing up which may have influenced his personality and ideology. Thanks for the information Anymouse.
Tutor/Mentor