Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Canada Thanksgiving
(10-12-2020, 05:37 PM)Scarlette Wrote: Why have one day for Christmas or any other holiday?
In Europe they celebrate all 12 days (and beyond). In America people start decorating in mid october (exaggerating slightly) and are ready to be done with it after the first day, because we seem to like our big, explosive, gaudy, one day celebrations.

I'm in no way attacking you or your family or any specific family.

But generically speaking, nationally, as a holiday, I'm not a fan.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EMOM <3333333333333333!!!!!!!!
I almost said happy bday lolzzz my brain is friedddddd
Happy Thanksgiving!
KAT
Mom of 4 boys - Tyler (22), Logan (19), Ryan (17), Connor (16) and 2 girls - Katie (21), Lexie (15)

Click for My Introduction

[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
Happy Thanksgiving Nancy and other Canadians!
REBECCA
Mom of 2 girls (18, 14) and 1 boy - (12)

Happy Thanksgiving!
Mother of Three Daughters
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
https://what-do-you-say.proboards.com

— Addy
Junior Member (14)

(10-12-2020, 05:35 PM)Maddie Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 05:33 PM)Scarlette Wrote: It's actually about gratitude and giving.

Then why limit it to one day? Why celebrate it with a feast? Why time it with a false narritve of comradship with the native americans we eradicated?

I see a lot more buying (black friday), eating, gorging, and watching football than I do meaningful ways of giving thanks and gratitutde.

People that spend the day volunteering to feed the homeless? Now those people I dig, but I'd still rather see it spread out around the year.

Awwww.....how can you hate Thanksgiving? No-one is perfect and everyone has those selfish areas in them unless you're Jesus.

I love Thanksgiving because its one day when people don't have to go to work or school and can come together and enjoy one another. I think it's very healthy to have those special days to gather together. It would be nice if we could do that every day of the year but life makes that impossible.

Don't you have family members you don't get to see enough of?
I do agree that a lot of Americans (I don't really know any Canadians except on here since I'm a lot closer to Mexico than Canada - so I won't pretend to have an informed opinion on Canadians and Thanksgiving) have forgotten the true meaning of Thanksgiving. We should be giving thanks to God everyday in our prayers. I feel it is still a positive that our country sets aside a day for that even if many don't recognize that. I also think it's healthy as a county to have holidays throughout the year for family and friends to gather and it's wonderful to have this one about giving thanks to God.
I don't practice Thanksgiving in our home, I'm part Absentee Shawnee and what has happened to my people by the Europeans is unconscionable.
KAT
Mom of 4 boys - Tyler (22), Logan (19), Ryan (17), Connor (16) and 2 girls - Katie (21), Lexie (15)

Click for My Introduction