Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Quebec Father Slaps Daughter To Death
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/..._jail.html

The buttocks is the only safe place to slap a child.
Tutor/Mentor
This is a sad story. The family must be devastated. I am glad the Judge went easy on the father. When I was growing up it was not uncommon to get a slap in the face at home or at school. Many ethnic groups discipline this way and I have seen hand marks on children's faces. To-day in Canada it is illegal to slap any where but the bottom. This unfortunate incident is a good reason why parents have to take the time to give a proper and safe spanking, only on the buttocks and only when you are calm.
Tutor/Mentor
What an awful tragedy.
REBECCA
Mom of 2 girls (18, 14) and 1 boy - (12)

[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
(05-22-2014, 12:04 PM)Garth Wrote: This is a sad story. The family must be devastated. I am glad the Judge went easy on the father. When I was growing up it was not uncommon to get a slap in the face at home or at school. Many ethnic groups discipline this way and I have seen hand marks on children's faces. To-day in Canada it is illegal to slap any where but the bottom. This unfortunate incident is a good reason why parents have to take the time to give a proper and safe spanking, only on the buttocks and only when you are calm.

Really? Glad the judge went easy on the father? Really? The force of the blow was so substantial as to cause "her neck to twist in such a way that she ruptured an artery, cutting off the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain." The child is DEAD. The father should be languishing in prison.
PALMA
Many would agree with you. I have always found it hard to forgive any parent who would abuse a child. Often their defense is they were abused themselves or just ignorance which in my opinion is no defense at all. However parents need to be educated around safe discipline and those who have a temper should never use physical discipline.
Tutor/Mentor
This is so sad. Sad I don't think the father should have a long prison sentence because it was obviously an accident and he has already suffered the worst punishment he could get. He obviously loved his daughter and his heart will be broken forever. But Mr Garth is right. Nobody should ever be slapped in the face. Even if he slapped her way too hard, she never would have been hurt for long if he had slapped her all 3 times on the butt instead of twice on the face and once on the butt. Sad
BRANDON
Junior Member Alumni

Click for My Introduction

(05-24-2014, 12:50 PM)Brandon Wrote: This is so sad. Sad I don't think the father should have a long prison sentence because it was obviously an accident and he has already suffered the worst punishment he could get. He obviously loved his daughter and his heart will be broken forever. But Mr Garth is right. Nobody should ever be slapped in the face. Even if he slapped her way too hard, she never would have been hurt for long if he had slapped her all 3 times on the butt instead of twice on the face and once on the butt. Sad

If a person gets in a car, drives recklessly and runs down and kills three people, should we go easy on them because after all it was an accident and they feel really badly because they killed the three people? We tell kids they are responsible for their actions, why isn't he? If you slap a child in the face hard enough to kill them then you should be responsible for your actions too. I honestly cannot fathom how anyone has any sympathy for this man who clearly was brutal with his child. And for what reason? He didn't like the way she cleaned? Her punishment? Corporal punishment sufficient to kill.
I think everyone acknowledges the father went over the line. The question is on how forgiving we should be.

This is an area where I think I have overstepped the line with self righteousness in the past. I know my own parents were not as kind as they always should have been, and know my father has overstepped the line plenty of times when I was a boy. I think there comes a time to step back and remember that parents can get overly angry sometimes, and that a tragedy can easily result.
This was assault not to be confused with spanking.
Allen
Dad of 2 girls - (15 and 13)
Old news now I know, but I wonder how the prison population took it ?
I guess they were / are not so forgiving.

Regards Bs
Stepdad of Three
[Image: wURKrjG.jpg]