Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Study shows 'hit kids' are happier/more successful adults
Quote:YOUNG children smacked by their parents may grow up to be happier and more successful than those who have never been hit, a study has found.

http://www.news.com.au/world/a-smacked-c...5815802962
New Step daughter of two girls, Casey 3 and Megan 5.
My Introduction
From my own experiences I would agree with the study. I would also agree as the study points out smacking adolescents may not be as effective as with younger children. I believe strongly the most important variable in child rearing is the relationship between a child and their care giver and that the kind of discipline used whether spanking or not is secondary.
Tutor/Mentor
I really hate the terms "smacking" and "hitting" when what is done is spanking. To me hitting is using a fist to hit the body and smacking is somewhat the same. Yes there is "smacking the bottom" but then there is a defined place on the body. I don't think a kid should be slapped across the face or hit anywhere on the body. Only spanked on the bottom.
Also hitting and smacking, to me, are used to mean cause damage like in a fight. A proper spanking should not damage a kids bottom.
I think using these words when talking about spanking is done to infer that a spanking is the same as a beating, yes I know that a beating in England is a term used for a spanking or caning.
My 2 cents.
DENNIS
Father of 1 grown daughter
Click for My Introduction
[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
Terminology is treacherous! The primary meaning of "spanking" in England until recently had nothing to do with bottoms, but meant "drive or move with speed or spirit" (especially of horses and carriages). About 50 years ago, we adopted the North American sense, which is still given in my dictionary as a secondary meaning, given as "strike with the hand, hit". Nonetheless, I take Dennis's point, though I don't think I ever used "spanking" for what I did to my son when he was growing up.

By the way, a scientific researcher has recently published a paper over here in which he demonstrates that most research (of any kind) is wrong, by the criterion that it cannot be replicated (ie another researcher uses the identical design, but can't get the same result). We all, I'm afraid, tend to believe the research that supports our own view. (This is how commercial concerns make millions from ineffective products.) Of course, by his own argument, he too is probably wrong!
FRANKIE
Father, Grandfather and Honorary Grandfather
Click for My Introduction
[Image: wURKrjG.jpg]