Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Disciplining Other People's Children
Tutor/Mentor
Wonder what we don't know? Doesn't seem like he broke the law. Maybe an awareness campaign to make sure parents know about the law. The media reports and the local law are two different things. I do think he should have told the parents what happened. It implies he did not. Surprised if convicted. Not surprised if law gets amended to clarify communication of expectations. North Carolina hard core corporal punishment state. We had vacation home there for thirty years. It's a Bible Belt state. There's a church on every corner. CP is an enshrined constitutional right under religious freedom. Don't expect much movement. The head of the Little League isn't a Southerner. Wonder how he got that job and how long he keeps it. I doubt most parents feel like him, though he says the Board is behind him. Something's missing in this story.
Mrs. V
Grandmother/Caregiver of 8 -6 at home, 2 boys: Nicolaas15 & Gabe 5; 4 girls: Lisbeth 15, Natalie 14, Lizzie 10 & Ashleigh 8 - 2 girls away from home 22 & 17 (2 adult sons and 1 adult daughter, all single parents)
Click for My Introduction
[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
Today I know in Canada you can be expected to be charged with assault if you spank a child that is not yours. Of course this is not likely to happen if you have the parents permission or the child is a reletive. First someone has to make a complaint before any investigation takes place. This usually would come from the child's parents whose child was spanked and a parent who obviously did not give their permission. In Canada even teachers can not spank children let alone a baseball coach or any other caregiver for that matter. As a child I was never spanked by anyone other than my parents or the teacher. I doubt my parents would of allowed anyone else to spank me though many of my friends got spanked and my cousins. An interesting Interview (#37) which is a post from another Forum sort of describes what may have happened when I was growing up.
Tutor/Mentor
To me it seemed like it wasn't against the law, but I think it would have been better to ask the parents if he had permission to spank the children if needed. I wouldn't spank another child without the parents saying to use that for punishment.
I don't think the law allowed this, because of being a coach or caregiver. The law says, if the child is under his household, which they were, when the parents left them there. Henderson is a very rural area. Hardly a town. I've driven through many, many times. So they would be even more ultra conservative. These are their local laws.

My family never left us anywhere, without setting expectations about behavior. And that was not, allowing anyone to spank us. They wanted to come pick us up if there was an issue. They wouldn't even spank anyone else's child, relative or not. But they all lived next door to each other, so they didn't have to worry about it.

I don't think he should be convicted, because he broke no law, unless they have evidence the spanking was abusive and left marks. They're not saying and they won't because of child confidential cases. However, I don't blame them for taking off coach status. His lack of communication was grossly inadequate. But the parents have some blame.

I repeatedly tell people, you must check your locality corporal punishment code in the US, especially if you're visiting out of state or moving to a state. While you might disagree with this NC law, it didn't require this guy to notify anybody. The fifty states differ. If you come from the Northeast to the Bible Belt, it like going back to the Civil War era in places like Henderson. This league head has a Northeast accent. If there is no conviction, they may get sued.
Mrs. V
Grandmother/Caregiver of 8 -6 at home, 2 boys: Nicolaas15 & Gabe 5; 4 girls: Lisbeth 15, Natalie 14, Lizzie 10 & Ashleigh 8 - 2 girls away from home 22 & 17 (2 adult sons and 1 adult daughter, all single parents)
Someone once said "the law is an *****". This I believe to be sometimes true. Children sometimes will realize this better than some adults because they have been less conditioned by Society. If a spanking is given by someone other than a parent, most children would not complain if they see it as just and deserving. In fact such a spankng maybe a bonding and loving experience for the child rather than traumatic. I think the law has to be somewhat flexible on the subject and hopefully as in this particular case the circumstances and common sense will dictate the guilt or innocence of the perpetrator.
Tutor/Mentor
(06-03-2016, 06:04 AM)Sven Wrote: I'm glad my rowing coach doesn't spank us for bad performance or anything else.Tongue

My games master once told one of my friends who was a very good mid-distance runner but inclined to give up too soon, and was entered for an inter-schools competition, that if he didn't win it, he'd not sit down for a week.

He won!

Afterwards he said that the thought of what might happen to his backside kept him going. It's called incentivisation, I believe.
FRANKIE
Father, Grandfather and Honorary Grandfather
[Image: wURKrjG.jpg]
i know playing sports with a sore butt sucks bad! but i think if u get spanked it should just be from ur parents always
CARSON
Junior Member Alumni
Sorry, I don't usually react this strongly, but spanking a kid to encourage good sports (or other) performance is just bizarre and cruel.

And if anybody other than their parents tried to spank any kid (without permission) within a 50 mile radius of where I live, you can bet it wouldn't remain a secret for more than about 2 seconds and the cops would probably be involved, as well they should be.
I agree Robert. A coach should have better ways to motivate players then spanking, and if that doesn't work, then maybe the kid just doesn't want to play. No parent should assume they have the right to spank anyone else's child, and I'd be livid if such a thing happened here. I can't believe that's actually the law.
REBECCA
Mom of 2 girls (18, 14) and 1 boy - (12)