Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Parenting With Presence
Tutor/Mentor
Excellent interview. A number of good points in a short time. I concur wholeheartedly.

We have strict supervision over "screens." In earlier years, it was very simple. We're going through a stage now that gives me pause. The kids that are ten and up, having grown up with limited screen time. We're concerned that they not get out of step with their era. We don't want to be reactionary.

Striking the balance between their future use of this rapidly growing tool and developing a cognitive, critical thinking person seems to be our challenge. We can be the captain she refers to. However, the waters are uncharted and I wonder where the line should be drawn. Huh It's getting harder to find that balance.
Mrs. V
Grandmother/Caregiver of 8 -6 at home, 2 boys: Nicolaas15 & Gabe 5; 4 girls: Lisbeth 15, Natalie 14, Lizzie 10 & Ashleigh 8 - 2 girls away from home 22 & 17 (2 adult sons and 1 adult daughter, all single parents)
Click for My Introduction
[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
I used screen time as a reward. I also made a rule that for the time they spent playing video games they had to engage in traditional games with me. That would be games like chess, checkers, cards etc. I also insisted we play active games together such as road hockey, swimming, a hike, tag and hide-and-go-seek at least once a day. It was also a reward just to go to the park and play on the playground equipment. There was always something to do other than sit around and watch TV or play video games.
Tutor/Mentor
Gosh, ours are so active, we have to fit screen time in. Yours is a great approach though. We have more outdoors time. Maybe more board games inside is something we should beef up. They've kind of been put to the side. I might drag them back out.
Mrs. V
Grandmother/Caregiver of 8 -6 at home, 2 boys: Nicolaas15 & Gabe 5; 4 girls: Lisbeth 15, Natalie 14, Lizzie 10 & Ashleigh 8 - 2 girls away from home 22 & 17 (2 adult sons and 1 adult daughter, all single parents)
I was never really interested in video games. I remember buying a video game back in the early seventies with my roommates. You hooked it up to your TV. It was kind of like playing a variation of ping pong. We thought a great invention back than. As kids we would play monopoly for hours. Also pocker was great fun playing for pennies or just tooth picks. We didn't dare say to our parents we were bored. If we did they would have probably just laughed at us and thought we were a bit crazy. We always had lots to do. TV was something we would occassionally watch Saturday morning or just before bed. Sunday nights were the best time to watch shows like Disney, Ed Sulivan and Bonanza. Now those were the days!
Tutor/Mentor
You're exactly right, Sven. I'm focused on kids younger than you and how to find the right balance. I don't want to be an "old fogey." When I was five years old, I'd never seen a television 📺 before.

So I'm guessing where this technology is heading. I want ours to be equally prepared, but not addicted.

Garth, it's amazing we had the same television programs. We were not allowed to watch any TV on week days, even in the summer. My parents cut it on to watch the morning farm report and weather and at night for national news.

Saturday we had lots of chores, so it was almost lunchtime, when we could cut our tv on. A few cartoons, the Little Rascals and the 3 stooges were Saturday fare. Then tv was off again. Saturday night we saw Lawrence Welk and Sing Along with Mitch. Our Sunday was just like yours.
Mrs. V
Of course on Saturday night we watched Hockey Night In Canada. What could be more Canadian than that.
Tutor/Mentor
I didn't even know the word hockeyBig Grin was it on ice? We don't have any of thatHuh
Mrs. V
(07-05-2016, 05:22 PM)Sven Wrote: Without screen time and electronics, we wouldn't have forums like this one. Big Grin You all like that, don't you?Smile (And you all spend a lot of time here!) Rolleyes

Great comment Sven and so so true Big Grin

P.S. On a private note - i really like your name Cool

Regards as always - Steve
Stepdad of Three
[Image: wURKrjG.jpg]
Discrimination is everything. I am frankly dismayed at the way so many homes seem to turn on the TV on getting out of bed (or perhaps even before) and it stays on pretty well regardless as a background distraction.

The same can equally be true of the computer, though there are addictive qualities to take into account there, particularly regarding games.
FRANKIE
Father, Grandfather and Honorary Grandfather
[Image: wURKrjG.jpg]