Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Unlearning Critical Thinking
Jesus never taught us to think critically. Unfortunately this is exactly what our educational system teaches us to do. I must of been very good at it since I did very well in school right through to graduate school. Now with the help of the Bible and other spiritual texts and teachers I am learning to think less critically. Of course this is a real threat to my ego who thinks my mind is who I really am. My advise to parents from a spiritual point of view is to give your children as much independence as you can and just allow them to be who you really are. And of course first you must be who you really are and stop thinking so much!
Tutor/Mentor
I've always been taught that critical thinking is one of god's greatest gifts, and to put it aside is to waste your brain. Instead of being a blind follower, one should challenge oneself to think even more critically. Its easy to have faith if you never question your faith. The true faithful person is the one who can think critically and still have faith in that which they can't prove. Just my .02
Excellent point, Meaghan. Logic and intellect are gifts. It's a journey to question what been set before you and to make it your own.
Mrs. V
Grandmother/Caregiver of 8 -6 at home, 2 boys: Nicolaas15 & Gabe 5; 4 girls: Lisbeth 15, Natalie 14, Lizzie 10 & Ashleigh 8 - 2 girls away from home 22 & 17 (2 adult sons and 1 adult daughter, all single parents)
Click for My Introduction
[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]
As one Greek philosopher put it "The only sin is ignorance". And as another wise man said "Your learning begins when your education ends". And one last one from a spiritual teacher "You can measure how enlightened ( a.k.a. the kingdom heaven) a person is by the degree of their absence of thinking".
Tutor/Mentor
I would agree with Meaghan. Really, one needs *all* approaches, depending on the situation: critical thinking, humility, obedience, faith, etc.

I am not sure excessive critical thinking is a problem in most parent child relationships. To me the *potential* for a problem is more likely to be in either excessive authoritarianism, or permissiveness, neither of which are really products of critical thinking.

I do think your points can be taken well. After all, what does it mean for the parent to be himself, or to give the child independence? I would think that means being a strict parent who does not micromanage, but delegates responsibility to the children so they can learn for themselves how they must handle their problems and duties. Expectations for homework, study, cleaning, work, behavior, etc. but latitude in how they are accomplished. But I can see many interpreting this sentence in different ways too.
I must admit the writings on the perils of critical thinking are not my own. Actually i decided to write the post after listening to a spiritual teacher on YouTube. It hit home with me as I use to have a very active mind that only caused me sleepless nights and grief. Today I have learned to quiet my mind without medication. I may add by simply following this advise in the Bible "Be still (quiet the mind) and know I am God" I have achieved this most of the time now. Of course you will think when you have to. The difference is when your thinking comes from a place of inner peace and joy, it will be creative and solve your problems rather than create them. By the way meditation and prayer will do the same for most people.
Tutor/Mentor
Don't think at all sounds like how dad says we got Trump.
NICK
Junior Member Alumni
Click for My Introduction
[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]