Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Beating vs. Spanking
Child rearing is something our Church rarely talks about. Most of our members are elderly and there are few children that attend our Sunday School. So I was surprised the topic came up while we were studying the Book of Joshua at Bible Study. Someone asked how "beating" children or any other human being for that matter could ever be in any way spiritual or helpful. Our Minister to his credit redirected the conversation to spanking. The consensus was "beating" and "spanking" were two different things. All of the members of the class admitted at some time they had been spanked as children and spanked there own children. Spankings were always done on the bottom and never intended to injure the child. Also they were not meant to be humiliating or cause emotional harm. All of the members felt spanking was acceptable discipline and a necessary part of child rearing and in no way what was being suggested in the Book of Joshua. Unfortunately some people do not seem to understand the difference between the two and if you interpret the Bible literally it may indeed be confusing!
Tutor/Mentor
Many Christians believe the Bible to be "literal," in the sense that everything in it actually happened (relating to history) and that it's teachings are also to be followed literally. Yet most of these same people "pick and choose" which teaching they think actually should be followed, while others don't really count. It's confusing.

I think that we should remember that, while the Bible was inspired by God, it was man who actually put it to paper. It's entirely possible that some of these same men allowed themselves to color their own writings with their own preferences and beliefs. After all, these men were just human, and therefore imperfect.

Further complicating matters is the fact that translation is more of an art than a science - why else are there (perhaps) dozens of translations of the Bible available for purchase?

I agree that there is a HUGE difference between beating and spanking, and that loving chastisement and correction of our children IS condoned by God for their benefit. But I also do not believe that God endorses any form of abuse upon the most vulnerable of His human creation.
MICHAEL
Dad of 3 boys - Michael (19), Andrew (15), Daniel (13) and mentor to 1 boy - Jonathan (13)
Click for My Introduction
Click for My Interview
[Image: LvC4Dwd.gif]